Monday, April 27, 2015

Back on the trail

April 24th - 27th, 2015
The storm was pretty bad yesterday  but it was nice to test out my rain gear. I also got to see rainbows here and there.

It was an uneventful day besides a lot of walking and taking pictures. The next point on my walk was highway 74 to a place called Paradise Café. 

Drying out my stuff after the storm.
It's always nice to run into an unexpected water cash.
Once I got there, I found it's a really nice place great food lots and lots of Pacific Crest Trail hikers. I ordered a burger because the person at the restaurant said that was the most food for the least amount of money. It was good but I was still hungry so I also ordered a burrito to go. Then got back on the trail. 
This section of the trail coming up is closed because of a fire that happened in 2013. I'm going to walk up to the closure then take a detour which is a trail that goes down the mountain to the interstate. Then you either walk or hitchhike on the interstate. 
This is where all the hikers would park their backpacks in front of the cafe.
While I was hiking I was just about to the closure and came across a nice little creek so I stopped and camped there for the night. One of the first camping spots next to water.
During the night it was very windy and I didn't bother to secure all of my gear and clothes. So when I woke up some of my stuff like blew into the stream that I was camping next to. 
I got the stuff out of the stream washed up and washed my clothes. Since I washed up and had a late start at 10 AM I walked to the closure. The detour had an incredible view and I'm glad I took it. Most of the PCT hikers are just hitchhiking to Idyllwild.
A picture from my camp and the small stream.

Some wild flowers on the detour.
Does this look like a big asparagus?

 I went back down to the interstate got a ride up to Idyllwild by a ex-Pan Am flight attendant. It was really great because he told me about the trails coming up and let me off near the Mexican place that I ate at before I went to the hospital. 
When I was there I called my girlfriend and then went to a grocery store. Bought some supplies for the upcoming part of the trail and then I found a place to camp a little outside of town.



No comments:

Post a Comment