Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Climbing Mt. San Jacinto Peak

April 28th, 2015
I woke up this morning and started to climb the mountain. There is another detour that you can take and it goes up to the top of Mount San Jancito. This peak is at 10,834 feet and it seems like a nice site. The only thing you're going to add is an extra eight or so miles to the trail and lot of elevation gain and loss. 
The trail going up was good. There was very little snow and the trail was easy enough to find.
Here I am at around 9700 feet and feeling pretty good. It is nice to be in the mountains.
Some weird looking plants on the trail.

After only a couple of hours of climbing and a few headaches I made it to the summit. 
        


At the top there was a great view of the Salton Sea, the desert, wind turbines and the surrounding mountains. 
There were about five or six PCT hikers and two day hikers up there and very little room but overall a very nice mountain to take a rest and look at the surrounding area.
On the way down I saw a search and rescue helicopters flying around. There were also a lot of search and rescue on foot. I ended up talking to them and asked what was going on. They said there was an Asian man in his late 20s missing missing since the storm a couple days ago. There are a couple of stories going around but apparently this guy went up the mountain with minimal gear. Then the storm got really bad and then the guy went missing. 
As I hiked further and further down I met more more search and rescue workers and turns out they found the guy down on some road.  
I camped early around 4 PM because there is a very long stretch trail without water that is 20 miles long.  I wanted to have water at my camp that way I could be hydrated before leaving.
I found a sandbar by this head of the river which is very small but there's snow all around me and very nice place. 


No comments:

Post a Comment