Friday, June 5, 2015

Going up Muir Pass

June 5th, 2015



When I got up the sun was out and the snow was melting. The air was cold and crisp as I packed up camp.  After finishing up I started going up towards Muir Pass. As I went up the snow got deeper as I climbed higher.  I was surprised to find long snow fields and frozen lakes.

The top had an amazing view of everything and there was a nice shelter sitting on the top in the snow. I wanted to keep on going to get through the snow then back on solid ground again so I kept on hiking. 


There were lots snow fields and got to a creek with lots of golden trout and decided to give hand fishing a shot. I remember reading an article about noodling which is a rare sport where you find a catfish nest and you put your hands down in the water. You wiggle your fingers around and try to get a fish to bite....  the goal is to have the fish engulf your entire hand. Once you get to this point you yank the fish out of the water.These weren't catfish so I would have to try the old grabbing method.  After three tries I caught one but only took a picture and threw it back. 

After this I made it to Echo lake which is a place where I visited about 10 to 12 years ago with my sister and it was first time that I went on the PCT. As I continued the weather started to turn.  It got really windy and snowy. It only lasted a little while and then it started to clear up. I hiked until about 8 PM and by that time the rain stopped and I found a place to camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment