Wednesday, June 10, 2015

A rainy day

June 10th, 2015


When I got up the next morning it was misty and rainy and I didn't want to get out of my shelter. Listening to the droplets hit my tarp I was imagining a dreary and wet day. By the time I got up and got outside I realized it was just a really light rain. The night before I told my sister to go ahead and I would try to catch up to her. I figured that it would allow her to start out early and then she could take her time. Also I ended up carrying her tent since she had a lot heavier gear than me and I had room in my backpack.
I slowly packed up and started going up the trail. As I got closer to a pass I figured I would try to dry out all my stuff and my sisters tent. I got everything that was damp out and put it on trees and rocks hoping to get it dryer. It was really windy and I thought it was a great idea to do it up on the mountain even though the clouds looked very dark. Then an unexpected rain came in and suddenly everything started getting wet again. I had to pack up everything as quick as I could but as I was cursing the weather all my stuff was wetter than before.

From this point I put on my poncho and headed down the trail. The weather was getting worse and I was just hoping my sister didn't have to wait too long for me in the rain because I remember that she didn't bring a rain jacket and it was unusually cold. Luckily I got to some lakes and saw my sister under some trees putting on more layers of clothes. I didn't stop for very long because it is best to keep moving when the weather is bad.

We kept going up the trail and by about six we decided to just find a place to camp. We hiked up to a lake off the main trail and set up there. The good thing is it was early enough to dry out most of our stuff and I had some time to read and relax. 

No comments:

Post a Comment