Saturday, June 6, 2015

The man with a bag full of two dollar bills

June 6, 2015


I got up and went about my morning routine and got back on the trail. As I was walking I passed some southbound John Muir Trail hikers. They told me that I was passed the majority of the snow from here on out. That made me happy because I was starting to get tired of all the snow so far. I cant imagine what most years are like because supposedly the snow pack is really low.

 As I continued up the trail I met a guy that gave me a two dollar bill. I was a bit confused but thanked him. He said that he hike the PCT in 1977 and the weather was similar that year and now he was hiking southbound giving out two dollar bills to hikers. He gave out 300 dollars worth so far to  various hikers. I thanked him again and continued up the trail.

I kept walking and as usual there was not much excitement on the trail. Then by about 5 o'clock the weather started to turn. The rain came down hard and the wind swept over the mountains. I kept on walking and faced a lot of of creek crossing. To avoid taking off my shoes I ended up doing a lot of log crossings which were very slippery and was luckily enough to make it across all of them without falling. As it got later as I got more and more tired and the rain kept on falling.  I was dreading the prospect of setting up camp with this wet weather because my poncho was my shelter and I would end up getting wet if I attempted to camp. Then right before dark it cleared up. I was grateful for the change in the weather and set up camp for the night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment