Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The ghosts of gold miners

June 16, 2015


The next morning I woke up and it was surprisingly hot. I started hiking up a very steep Canyon Trail with lots of poison oak. I was sweating a lot and was getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. I was still happy to be out exploring a new trail. I got up to the top of this hill and went to a place Deadwood Cemetery and Devils Thumb.


There wasn't any marked graves but there was a marble stone with about 15 names on it. This part of the Western States Trails  was used by goldminers in the 1890s about and there were tons historic areas where you could imagine where gold miners would come hoping to strike it rich.



I kept on hiking up the trail and saw a lot of old mining equipment. This was interesting but the maps that I printed out were not completely accurate and it took me a while to figure out where the trail was. By this point the trail turned into a labyrinth of logging roads. The trail would disappear  and then reappear so it wasn't the most straightforward thing. Also there weren't really any marked water sources so I had to kind of guess were water might be.  After a long day I found a little pond off a logging road to camp next to. I threw down my sleeping bag got my bug netting out for my sack and then to go to sleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment