Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The water hole and the rattler


May 19th, 2015

I woke up this morning breathing the dry desert air. I was feeling a little unprepared for this 40 mile (possibly waterless) section in the desert. I had packed about 5 L the day before but I forgot how dry the desert air was and how much more water you drink in the desert. 
I started  walking and I was really really thirsty. I looked down the canyon and I saw some cement. Sometimes there are water cashes buried under the ground. I walked down and checked it out. 
There was water in what looked like a street drain. I got on my hands and knees to have a glance at the water. There was bird poop and bird feathers everywhere. 

I looked over by my head and there was a rattlesnake in the shade about 3 feet away. I wasn't surprised or scared this time. I just went about my business and he eventually went down a hole.




No comments:

Post a Comment