Sunday, May 24, 2015

The gateway to the Sierras

May 24th, 2015


I got up in the morning from my camp above the restaurants and packed up. I took my time because I didn't think the restaurant would be open that early. When I got down there it was around 830 and there was already around 20 to 30 hikers waiting for food. I saw a familiar face among the sea of hiker trash paparazzi. He was an older guy that I hiked with very briefly from way back on the trail. I sat down and talk to him and the other hikers that were sitting around.  
Everyone at Kennedy Meadows basically talked about the snow in the mountains and the upcoming storms. There were stories of 10 feet of snow and winter conditions in the Sierras. More and more people were not to going into the Sierras. Instead they decide to skip ahead. I was determined to talk to the locals and find out what the trail is really like. They said it wasn't that bad. They told me that there was snow but crampons and ice axes were not required. 

I eventually ate my breakfast which was pancakes bacon and eggs. I went back to the Kennedy Meadows store and got my package of food. Then I quickly put my food in my backpack and started heading up the trail. The country from here on out has been a big change. 
There have been lots of, trees, big valleys and beautiful views. I hiked around 10 or 15 miles and I set up camp.



No comments:

Post a Comment