Thursday, May 28, 2015

The highest point on the trail

May 28th, 2015



When I got up it was very very cold. The last four nights it had been getting below freezing around 2 AM. Normally I would sleep for a couple of hours then once it starts to get really cold I wake up and won't sleep until the sun hits my sleeping bag. 
After crawling out of my sleeping bag I packed up and started walking up the trail. Yesterday was tough and today was also going to be tougher because I was going towards the highest point on the PCT which is Forster Pass. There's been lots of stories that on the top of the pass there's a snow on top and it was really dangerous. 


I walked up and approachung the pass I was confronted with tons of snow fields. After a big climb I got up and over the past with no big problems. But on the other side there was lots of snow. It was getting warm and the snow was getting very soft. As a result there was a lot of post holing. For about for 5 miles there were big patches of deep snow and I got completely soaked.  Once I got over the mountain I met a guy with his two grandchildren. The kids were wearing Nike flattop shoes and sweatpants. Their gear was totally insufficient for the terrain but I felt like it was good that they were out here.




I kept on going and made it to Kierkegaard pass where I was planning to hitchhike to Bishop. 
There were some amazing views going over the pass and I was glad to  finally have cell service so I called my mom, sister, and my girlfriend. My mom told me that my sister was flying into California from Washington. She offered to come down in a couple of days to pick me up so I could visit for a little bit. I told her that I would have to look at my maps and I would talk to her later. After this I set up camp near a lake not too far away from the trail head parking lot.






No comments:

Post a Comment