Saturday, May 30, 2015

Korean on the trail

May 30th, 2015
I got back to the trail and went over Kearsarge Pass. On the way down I saw a PCT hiker named Thermometer. He was an older Korean guy I've seen before on the trail. I said, "annyeonghaseyo." (Which means hello). He got really excited and started speaking really quickly…

The next morning I got up, packed and looked around and there was tons of insects and bugs crawling around.  I didn't notice them much last night but now that it was day time I could see hundreds of ants, flys and beetles scurrying about. After watching the bugs for a while I packed then went to the road and call my mom. My sister was coming up and she was going to come down and pick me up.  I told mom I can meet her at Southlake in two and a half days.  It was about 70 miles away over really difficult terrain and once I got started up the trail I was starting to question if I was going to be able to make it.
I got back to the trail and went over Kearsarge Pass. On the way down I saw a PCT hiker named Thermometer. He was an older Korean guy I've seen before on the trail. I said, "annyeonghaseyo." (Which means hello). He got really excited and started speaking really quickly in Korean. I did my best to talk to him but didn't successfully answer all his questions in proper Korean. I shook his hand and walked off. Then I remembered that you are supposed to use both hands if you shake someone’s hand that is older that you. I guess if I see him again I'll try to remember. 



I continued to hike up to the next pass(Glen pass). I didn't think that there would be a lot of snow but I was wrong. It took me over an hour to go a half mile. At one point I lost my shoe and had to spend 10 minutes digging it out with numb legs and hands from the snow. By the end of the day I only made it around 16 miles and was exhausted. This was a lot less than I expected to do. I was hoping to at least make it 22 miles. Hopefully tomorrow will be easier and I can get more miles into a day.
Also, made it to the 800 mile mark right before dark.


No comments:

Post a Comment